Some introductory musings on the way I consume music…


But first...

As a kid I had tapes, and listened to my parents’ vinyl.  At some point in the early 90s, I began voraciously buying CDs, and by the time I began doing these album of the year lists in the year 2000 I had hundreds of them.  In 2012, I sold all my (by then, thousands of) CDs and started buying Mp3s. 

The summer of 2018 saw me finally making the next switch, from buying digital downloads to using a streaming service.  Financially, it had just become untenable to spend £10 on one album, when a joint account with my wife would give me access to virtually everything for £7 a month.  But this change has had an interesting impact on my list.  In the second half of 2018 I was able to listen to a far greater number of eligible records, which expanded the ‘field’ of contenders significantly, and opened the door to me experiencing and enjoying weirder and more varied artists; at the same time, freed from the need to ‘get my money’s worth’ with repeated plays, and now spreading my time across so many more albums (dipping in as I wanted), fewer records than in previous years broke through into regular rotation and carved out a meaningful place in my heart.  On the one hand, at least 3 of my 2018 list entries are records that I never would have taken a chance on buying, but which I now love.  On the other hand, it’s notable that of my final 2018 list, a disproportionate number of ‘placing’ albums came out during the first half of the year, when I was still buying them outright: perhaps they just were better, but I suspect it’s in part because I felt financially obliged to give them more chances to impress.

It’ll be interesting to see how this list shapes up in 2019, when everything I listen to will be streamed.  My current sense is that streaming is a double-edged sword, but it’s hard to begrudge the fact that I now spend less money to listen to more music.  It all makes me feel old, and I’m not yet sure how to process this unlimited access, or strike a good balance between trying as much as I can while giving records enough opportunity to get the most from them.  I’m sure I’ll get used to it, though, just like I got over not having a physical booklet to flip through every time I got a new CD.  Ultimately, in the words of mighty rock titans Clutch: ‘You can’t stop.  You can’t stop progress.’

Anyway, enough of this  on with the list for 2018!